Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Walk through Paint

My paintings are often inspired by walks in nature. I love landscape-painters, but I'm not one of them. For me it's more the experience, the shapes, the colours, the light...I'd love for my work to give you that same kind of feeling you get from going for a walk in the woods, or through an open field, or barefoot by the sea. So, I'm not trying to achieve anything "conceptual". I think we do enough thinking as it is. The last thing I want is for someone to look at my work and go off on a long internal monologue. No! I want my audience to feel something, something good. And if, at times, that makes my work susceptible to a kind of that-would-look-lovely-above-the-couch-because-it-has-that-exact-shade-of-beige...then that's ok. I'll take that in my (mud-covered) stride...! Summer, 115 x 75cm, acrylics on on canvas, July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment